A thorough web-based version of my resume outlining my qualifications, interests, and experience.
Simon V. Hradil-Kasseckert
Simon V. Hradil-Kasseckert—Mechanical Engineer
- Graduating mechanical engineering undergraduate student with a specialization in mechatronics and embedded systems.
- Passionate about achieving effective, efficient, and elegant solutions to complex engineering problems.
- Motivated to grow in the direction of project management and business administration.
- Brings an organized, sustainable, results-oriented individual work ethic to the larger team culture.
- Critical Thinker
- Professional Communicator
- Constructive Team Player
- Knowledgeable Problem Solver
- Technically-Skilled Worker
- Creative Innovator
4th-Year Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate at University of Victoria
(Cumulative GPA: 6.29/9.00 ≃ 3.5/4.0)
Mechatronics and Embedded Systems
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Electronic Control Systems
- C, C++, Python, and MATLAB
- Ladder Logic
- Digital Multi-Meter (DMM)
- Atmel Microcontrollers
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs)
- Engineering Design Process
- Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing
- SolidWorks and Siemens NX (800+ hr)
- Finite Element Analysis
- Analytical Structural Analysis
- Mechanism Simulation
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Optical Metrology
- White-light Scanning
- Working Model
- Siemens NX
- ATOS Professional
- ATOS Scanbox
- Wood- and Metal-Shop Experience
- 3D-Printing Experience
- All Woodshop Hand Tools
- All Woodshop Power Tools
- Metal Mill
- Metal Lathe
- 3D Printer
- Research & Report Writing
- Bilingual (English & German), Cross-Cultural Communication
- Product Lifetime Management (PLM)
- Material Requirements Planning
- Leadership, Presentation, & Teaching Skills
- Public Speaking
- Organizational Behaviour
- Data Management
- Statistical Analysis
- Python & R
- Microsoft Excel
- Digital Marketing
- Web Development
- Graphic Design
- Scalable Vector Graphics
- Adobe Photoshop
- HTML, CSS
- Innovations in Science
- Arts & Culture
- Social Justice
- Personal Development
- Endurance Athletics (Swim, Bike, Run)
2021 – Mechatronic Scientific Lab Assistant (Co-op) at The Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Victoria ⚙️⚡
- 4 months, in Victoria, Canada
- Accelerated the transition to an engaging distance learning experience.
- Prepared and maintained lab apparatuses.
- Shared multiple course-related administrative responsibilities.
- Provided one-on-one support to student project groups.
- Demonstrated/Developed: Effective pedagogic delivery, communication, and ethical conduct strategies.
2020 – Junior Mechatronic Engineer (Co-op) at Vitrum Glass Group ⚙️⚡
- 4 months, in Langley, Canada
- Improved workflow efficiency by enhancing production lines.
- Designed and built tools and workstations to aid in everyday fabrication.
- Configured production lines with old, new, and retrofitted equipment.
- Automated various manufacturing processes with microcontrollers and PLCs.
- Demonstrated/Developed: a multidisciplinary (mechanical, electrical, control systems) approach to engineering design and troubleshooting projects.
2018 – Electromechanical Engineer (Co-op) at Arius Technology ⚙️⚡
- 8 months, in Vancouver, Canada
- Contributed multi-disciplinary skills and knowledge to the dynamic start-up team.
- Researched, designed, and built a device to aid in the color-managed workflow.
- Managed MRP data.
- Assisted with the assembly and manufacture of numerous commercialization projects.
- Demonstrated/Developed: research, design, and organizational skills relevant to engineering.
2017 – Optical Metrology Technician (Co-op) at MTU Aero Engines ⚙️👥
- 4 months, in Munich, Germany
- Sustainably completed specialized deviation analysis.
- White-light scanned mechanical components.
- Analyzed the resulting point clouds with GOM 3D measuring equipment.
- Trained successors.
- Demonstrated/Developed: engineering knowledge, project management, and technical training skills.
2021 – Club President (Volunteer) at University of Victoria Triathlon Club 👥
- 12 months in Victoria, Canada
- Restructured the club’s executive team and achieved higher membership rates.
- Recruited executive team members.
- Orchestrated administrative meetings.
- Created and implemented membership-driving marketing funnels.
- Organized special events.
- Demonstrated/Developed: strong administrative and interpersonal skills.
2021 – Copywriter, Photographer, and Web Developer at sivihk.com 👥💡
- 8 months, working remotely
- Created and maintained a website and blog to represent myself authentically online.
- Built a WordPress website.
- Sought mentorship on and refined my methods as a writer.
- Continued my learning and work as a landscape and lifestyle photographer.
- Demonstrated/Developed: web development, copywriting, photography, authentic-relating, and story-telling skills.
2020 – Business Owner at Break-Away Bicycle Services 👥💡
- 4 months, in Victoria, Canada
- Founded and directed a local bike cleaning and maintenance business.
- Evaluated the market need and created a business plan around need and sustainability values.
- Invested in equipment based on an appropriate budget for the business model.
- Followed through as the sole proprietor, marketing my service, traveling to various sights, and cleaning people’s bikes.
- Demonstrated/Developed: confidence following through on the entire process of starting, running, and ending business.
2019 – Building Attendant at University of Victoria Student Society (UVSS) 👥
- 1.25 years, in Victoria, Canada
- Performed essential tasks associated with smooth operation of the University of Victoria’s Student Union Building.
- Ensured that everything in the building was running smoothly.
- Supported building staff.
- Locked and unlocked all entrances to the building.
- Aided groups with a permanent or temporary presence in the building.
- Demonstrated/Developed: Sole responsibility for a large business asset, and effective communication.
2016 – Student Helper at Guiding Hands Recreation Society 👥
- 3 months, in Crawford Bay, Canada
- Provided essential support to a team of outdoor educators, kitchen staff, and maintenance staff.
- Assisted with infrastructure upkeep tasks such as ensuring access to water, power, food, and sanitation.
- Aided with other tasks related to the operation and management of the remote-access wilderness camp.
- Demonstrated/Developed: leadership, and problem-solving skills.
2015 – Student Council Leader (Volunteer) at L.V. Rogers Secondary School 👥💡
- 10 months, in Nelson, Canada
- Founded and directed a volunteer-based student advocacy group.
- Responded to a lack of communication between students and administration.
- Recruited, educated, and empowered students to bring their peers’ concerns to all relevant levels of administration, all the way up to provincial.
- Demonstrated/Developed: competencies in leadership, management, coordination, and group work.
2015 – Youth Camp Counselor at Guiding Hands Recreation Society 👥
- 3 months, in Crawford Bay, Canada
- Shared the responsibility of orchestrating an enjoyable and rewarding experience for youth attending Tipi-Camp.
- Worked with a multigenerational team to host children at an off-grid nature camp.
- Aided in delivering the curriculum centered on personal development and environmental sustainability.
- Demonstrated/Developed: teaching, group work, and conflict resolution skills.
2014 – Fighter-Jet Mechanic (Practicum Student) at Deutsche Luftwaffe ⚙️
- 1 week, in Erding, Germany
- Participated in several of the practical components of a specialized, high-caliber apprenticeship program with the German Military.
- Worked with apprentices in the military machine shop and hanger learning basic metalwork and fighter-jet mechanics.
- Demonstrated/Developed: An understanding complexity of large vehicles and machinery, what is needed to maintain and fix them, and the importance of cleanliness and organization in the workplace.
2014 – Cabinet Maker (Practicum Student) at Schreinerei Deuritz
- 1 week, in Erding, Germany
- Joined a cabinet maker’s crew in the shop and on-site completing high-quality custom wood-working projects.
- Worked under the direction of a master cabinetmaker, assisting with contracts and completed independent projects.
- Demonstrated/Developed: skills related to the design process as well as the execution of projects.
2013 – Biodynamic Dairy Farmer (Practicum Student) at Kernzlhof
- 2 weeks, in Münsing, Germany
- Shadowed a well-established biodynamic dairy farmer through essential daily tasks.
- Worked on a Biodynamic Farm, independently completing tasks including milking, beekeeping, and fieldwork.
- Demonstrated/Developed: A thorough understanding sustainable of food production.
2021-22 – Honors Thesis
- Achieving greater efficiencies in low-energy-consumption homes by studying unique applications of automation and deep learning.
in March 2016, regarding application to the “Mechanical Engineering” undergraduate program at the University of British Columbia:
- “Simon… display[s] superior work habits…display[ing] humility and confidence when he… face[s] material he [doesn’t] quite understand…
- He never leave[s] things to the last minute and always [gets] an early start on major assignments…
- He is able to augment his strengths in science… with a superior ability to communicate…
- Not only is he a leader himself, he recognizes and inspires leadership in his peers…
- Simon serves as an exemplar of possibility for other students. Through him, others can see the rewards that hard work, perseverance, and dedication can bring. His intrinsic motivation, solid work ethic, positive attitude, and curiosity will no doubt allow him to be successful in his future endeavors.”
in October 2015, regarding work as a “Youth Camp Counselor” at Guiding Hands Recreation Society:
- “[Simon has] a deep sense of personal excellence and a vast work ethic…
- [is] very conscientious and respectful with a well-developed sense of problem solving and critical thinking…
- work[s] very well as part of a multi-generational team…
- articulately express his ideas, suggestions and/or concerns in a manner that [is] respectful, insightful and clear…
- takes direction well; listens actively and thoughtfully and is able to be turned loose on a task with minimal supervision ever required…
- intends to understand things more to a point of deeper mastery… [and]
- [is an] organized and a definite systems thinker…
- Simon would be an asset to any school, organization or special project and I recommend him to you without hesitation.”